It’s a common misconception that phones (iPhones in particular) don’t get viruses, other malware, or become the victim of hacks. Unfortunately, we’re here to tell you that’s wrong! On balance, an unprotected phone is in a fairly vulnerable position.
Hacking and viruses — which often go hand in hand — are a modern scourge on those who are connected online and use phones and computers. In this article, we’ll look at the signs to watch out for in diagnosing a hack or a virus on your mobile phone (Android & iOS) — and the steps you can take to protect yourself.
On Hacking and Viruses
Hacking is the attempt to exploit weaknesses and openings in the defence systems of phones and computers. It is in essence, the unauthorized access or control of an individual’s device or network.
Viruses are code programs with the ability to replicate themselves in computer/phone systems to spread rapidly. They infect files and programs and make them inaccessible. Similar to organic viruses, computer viruses cannot live without a host — i.e., an operating system.
Often, users are unaware that the virus has now attached itself to their email account and will, oblivious, email out the virus to more victims. Viruses are often hidden within insecure apps, music, movies, photos, as well as free games and toolbars.
How Do I know If My Phone Has a Virus? The Symptoms:
- Slow performance (e.g., taking a long time to open apps).
- Issues shutting down or restarting.
- An increase in smishing and cold calling.
- Frequent app crashes and/or error messages.
- Unexpected pop-up windows.
- A dramatic increase in data usage.
- Your friends are receiving spam messages/emails related to you.
- Web browser lag and/or being redirected to suspicious web pages.
- New apps that appear without you downloading them.
- Battery drain and overheating.
What Can Viruses Do to Your Phone?
The following are just some of the worrying effects hacks, viruses and malware can result in:
- The potential to be infected with ransomware, whereby hackers lock you out of your files or threaten you with the publishing of sensitive/embarrassing data.
- Recording of your phone conversations — unbelievable, but very much true.
- You could be incessantly spammed with never-ending ads, while generating revenue for the attacker.
- The installation of rootkits, malicious programs that offer hackers a backdoor to the virtual you.
- Recording of your log-in credentials, and the compromising of your identity.
- The collection and dissemination of other information such as location, address, contacts, and photos.
An Easier Way to Protect Your Phone
The best thing you can do to protect yourself — and avoid the above signs — is to install a trusted antivirus product. That’s why you should install Trend Micro Mobile Security today — giving you the defence you need against hacking, viruses and other malware.
Download Trend Micro Mobile Security today — and guard against cyberthreats with:
- Real-time Web Threat Protection
- Cloud-based AI, Smart Protection Network™, which keeps track of evolving threats
- Ransomware protection
- Trend Micro Pay Guard, which opens secure versions of your browser when completing financial transactions
- Anti-phishing/spam software
- Performance Optimization
- Folder shields that protect your most sensitive date
- Trust in our 30 years of experience in cybersecurity
If you’ve found this article a useful and/or interesting read, please do SHARE with family and friends to help keep the online community secure and protected.