This week we’ve been tracking a particularly horrendous scam attempt. Posts have been going viral on Facebook in relation to a supposed missing-person case. The individual in question is Tyler Griffin, a young actor known for his role in the Insidious film franchise. The posts claim that Griffin, based in Florida, has been missing for several days and that his family are understandably desperate for any information. Users are encouraged to comment and share widely in an attempt to help find the boy.
How Does Tyler Griffin Missing Boy Scam Work
Readers may notice however, that these posts are being shared on trade pages — seems an odd venue for missing person posts, right? This is unfortunately a SCAM — and a pretty cynical one at that, by profiting off of people’s goodwill and desire to help. What happens is that, once the posts have received enough online traction (shares etc.) the scammers will then alter the content of the post to advertise rental listings on dodgy real estate websites, as well as online surveys. You can see the transition in the posts below.
Aside from the moral issue of manipulation, the links themselves lead to phishing pages where the intention is to harvest people’s personal information. Don’t fall for it! Thankfully, other users are aware that it’s a scam and have been warning their fellow Facebook users — as seen below.
To summarize, Tyler Griffin is perfectly safe at home, and this is a cynical scam. Beware of such posts in the future — it is an old tactic, used by scammers on Facebook.
Fight Misinformation with Trend Micro Check
- When it come to rumors and claims, be sure to fact-check with reputable sites such as Snopes.
- Information disseminated solely through social media is a red flag.
- In regards to online shopping, always double-check reviews of shopping websites.
- Pay attention to the company’s age, and be suspicious of great-sounding discounts.
- Strange payment methods (such as only PayPal) is a red flag.
- NEVER use links or buttons from unknown sources! Use Trend Micro Check to detect scams with ease: Trend Micro Check is an all-in-one browser extension and mobile app for detecting scams, phishing attacks, malware, and dangerous links — and it’s FREE!
After you’ve pinned the Trend Micro Check extension, it will block dangerous sites automatically! (Available on Safari, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge).
You can also download the Trend Micro Check mobile app for 24/7 automatic scam and spam detection and filtering. (Available for Android and iOS).
Check out this page for more information on Trend Micro Check. And as ever, if you’ve found this article an interesting and/or helpful read, please do SHARE it with friends and family to help keep the online community secure and protected. And don’t forget to leave a like and a comment.
- By Ann Dwyer | November 22, 2022
You Might Also Be Interested In...
Get all the latest cybersecurity news