Reported by The Wall Street Journal, McDonald’s was hit by a data breach that exposes customers’ data in countries like South Korea and Taiwan.
According to McDonald’s, “while we were able to close off access quickly after identification, our investigation has determined that a small number of files were accessed, some of which contained personal data.”
What is leaked?
Leaked information includes email addresses, phone numbers, and delivery addresses. As far as we know, no payment details were accessed. However, does that mean you are not being affected?
Not exactly. Don’t underestimate the risk!
Although McDonald’s said they will warn potential victims of the data breach and “further enhance existing security measures,” it is important to stay cautious.
From the moment hackers gain access to your contact information, they can use it for phishing attacks. You can receive fake emails or text messages with phishing links designed to steal sensitive data like bank information. Furthermore, take control over your bank account or use your personal information for identity theft.
Here’s how to protect yourself:
- Use Trend Micro ID Security to find out if your information was leaked in a data breach.
- If you find out your email or other login credentials are included in the McDonald’s data breach, please change passwords immediately.
Trend Micro ID Security can monitor your identifying data and alert you if any of them has been compromised.
Trend Micro ID Security includes:
- Email Checker: Monitors whether your email account has been involved in a breach
- Credit Card Checker: Finds out if someone has stolen your credit card number due to a breach
- Password Checker: Verifies if you have used a password currently in circulation on the Dark Web
- Dark Web Personal Data Monitor: Scours the Dark Web for sensitive personal data like information of your bank account numbers, driver’s license data, social security number, and passport details
Scan the QR code below to download Trend Micro ID Security for Android/iOS now:
Or click the button for more information about Trend Micro ID Security: