We’ve found a large number of phishing scams this week, including ones relating to Netflix, FedEx, Walmart, and an online pharmacy. Would you have been able to spot all these scams?
Impersonating trusted brands, scammers will contact you with excuses such as bogus security alerts or fake notifications via text message or email — always with the goal of getting you to click on their phishing links.
They will try to prompt you into completing various tasks after clicking on the links. These phishing links are designed to collect any information you enter. Scammers will use your information to commit cybercrimes, for example, to steal your identity or make payments using your credit card information.
Other common tactics scammers use is to send fake security notifications, with which they prompt you to take action (e.g. verify an account, update billing information, or check a delivery status) using the attached links.
As one of the most impersonated brands, Netflix scams never cease to appear. We detected this fake Netflix text message about billing information nearly 10,000 times last week:
- Your a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t͏ is on hold. We’re having some trouble with your current billing information. Re͏͏c͏͏o͏͏v͏͏e͏͏r͏͏y͏͏ y͏͏o͏͏u͏͏r͏͏ a͏͏c͏͏c͏͏o͏͏u͏͏n͏͏t͏͏ i͏͏m͏͏m͏͏e͏͏d͏͏i͏͏a͏͏t͏͏e͏͏l͏͏y͏͏ c͏͏l͏͏i͏͏c͏͏k͏͏ l͏͏i͏͏n͏͏k͏͏ b͏͏e͏͏l͏͏l͏͏o͏͏w͏͏:http://www[.]netflix[.]com:911@s955335070[.]onlinehome[.]us/ven P͏l͏e͏a͏s͏e͏ t͏a͏k͏e͏ a͏c͏t͏i͏o͏n͏ o͏n͏ y͏o͏u͏r͏ a͏c͏c͏o͏u͏n͏t͏ w͏i͏t͏h͏i͏n͏ 4͏8͏ h͏o͏u͏r͏s͏ t͏o͏ a͏v͏o͏i͏d͏ p͏e͏r͏m͏a͏n͏e͏n͏t͏ s͏u͏s͏p͏e͏n͏s͏i͏o͏n͏.
Falsely claiming that there’s a billing issue with your account, scammers instruct you to click on the link to “recover” it. As mentioned, this will take you to a fake log-in page that is designed to record all the credentials you enter. Don’t fall for it!
Stay Away from Phishing Attempts with Trend Micro Check
The best way to prevent phishing scams is to NEVER click on links or attachments from unknown sources. You can use our complimentary Trend Micro Check tool, a browser extension and mobile app for detecting scams, phishing attacks, malware, and dangerous links, and surf the web with confidence! (It’s FREE!)
After you’ve pinned the Trend Micro Check extension, it will block dangerous sites automatically! (Available on Safari, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge.)
You can also download the Trend Micro Check mobile app for 24/7 automatic scam and spam detection and filtering. (Available for Android and iOS).
Check out this page for more information on Trend Micro Check.
Again, the button will take you to a phishing page – in this case, a fake package tracking website that can collect all your personal information. Don’t let that happen!
In other cases, scammers will try and trick you into taking an online survey instead of using fake log-in pages, as seen below.
Walmart scams are also reoccurring. This time scammers use delivery to try to exploit you:
- Reminder for +64210475360: Can you please confirm if this delayed deIivery belongs to u or we sent it back to the sender: <URL>
The attached phishing link will take you to a Walmart survey page like the below, and promise you an iPad Pro as a reward: (of course, it is FAKE!)
If you proceed with the questionnaire, you could end up exposing your personal information, including credit card credentials. Be careful!
Besides phishing links, scammers also use fake emails to disseminate scam shopping sites.
“Best products!” “Best Pricing!” Shop owners often use emails to promote themselves, but if you ever get a promotional email out of nowhere, you need to be careful!
This week we’ve detected lots of bogus promotional campaign material that promotes a scam online pharmacy. Below is another version:
Both these emails contain a link to an online shop called RMW, which we’ve already identified as a SCAM website. Don’t shop here!
Tips to Stay Safe from Scams
- Always do your homework before shopping; only shop on well-known, legitimate websites!
- Double-check the sender’s mobile number/email address.
- Only use official websites/applications.
- Change your password as soon as possible if you’ve already clicked on a suspicious link. Consider using our free online Password Generator to create strong, tough-to-hack passwords.
- Finally, add an extra layer of protection to your devices with Trend Micro Maximum Security. Its Web Threat Protection, Ransomware Protection, Anti-phishing, and Anti-spam Protection will help you combat scams and cyberattacks. Click the button below to give it a try.
As ever, if you’ve found this article an interesting and/or helpful read, please SHARE it with friends and family to help keep the online community secure and protected. Also, please consider leaving a comment or LIKE below.
- By Middy Church | April 17, 2023
- By Dawn Myers | April 16, 2023
- By Susan E. JUDD | April 13, 2023
You Might Also Be Interested In...
Get all the latest cybersecurity news