This week we’ve found a large number of scams that you need to watch out for, including ones relating to Amazon, DHL, Walmart, and MORE. Would you have been able to spot all the scams?
Neixcei[.]com (Fake Amazon Shopping Site)
Have you recently come across Facebook posts about “Amazon unclaimed packages” with a link to neixcei[.]com? Watch out, it’s a SCAM!
“Order your Amazon pallets now and get at least 50% off!” Seems too good to be true, right? And it surely is.
Please note that this website is not a genuine Amazon site (check the web address!). Those who receive items from the site are likely to discover they’re low quality, but they probably won’t even end up arriving!
Stay Protected When Shopping Online — Use Trend Micro Check!
Trend Micro Check is a browser extension and mobile app for detecting scams, phishing attacks, malware, and dangerous links — and it’s FREE!
After you’ve pinned the Trend Micro Check extension, it will block dangerous sites automatically! (Available on Safari, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge).
You can also download the Trend Micro Check mobile app for 24/7 automatic scam and spam detection and filtering. (Available for Android and iOS).
Check out this page for more information on Trend Micro Check.
Scammers have lots of other tricks besides fake online shops that you need to be aware of this holiday shopping season!
Impersonating famous brands and companies, scammers send out phishing messages (most often via text or email) and try to entice you into clicking on the phishing links inside.
These phishing links will often lead to fake login pages that will end up asking you for your personal information and/or login credentials. Here are some examples:
Amazon Security Alert Phishing
Falsely claiming that there are safety issues with your Amazon account, scammers prompt you to take action to “recover” or “verify” your account via the attached phishing link:
- Amazon: your account will be locked due to suspicious activity, please confirm your informations below within 24 hours to unlock it: <URL>
The link leads you to a fake Amazon login page:
If you enter your credentials, scammers can record them and use them to commit other crimes such as identity theft. Don’t let them!
DHL Delivery Phishing
We’ve detected a lot of scam emails impersonating DHL this week. Scammers prompt you to click on an embedded button to check the status of your “pending package”:
The button will take you to a fake DHL tracking website that states you need to pay a fee for your package delivery.
If you do as instructed, you will eventually end up exposing your sensitive information, including credit card credentials. Be careful!
Phishing links also often lead to online survey pages that state you can claim a gift by filling out an online questionnaire:
Walmart Reward Phishing
As we’ve reported several times before, scammers love to pose as Walmart and send you fake reward messages, instructing you to claim a gift via the attached phishing link:
- YOU Got 1 Urgent Msg from Walmart Your coupon ending in 5393 came first in our Draw CIaim Reward <URL>
The button will take you to a Walmart survey page where you’re asked to enter personal information:
Again, any credentials entered will end up in scammers’ hands. Don’t get scammed!
How to Shield Yourself from Scams
- Pay close attention to URLs — are they legitimate?
- Double-check the sender’s mobile number/email address.
- Only shop on legitimate online stores. Also, watch out for too-good-to-be-true offers — they’re always a major red flag.
- Go to the official website/application instead of using links from unknown sources.
- Never click on links or attachments from unknown sources. Use Trend Micro Check to surf the web safely (it’s free!).
- Change your password immediately if you’ve already clicked on a suspicious link, Consider using our online Password Generator (also free!) to create strong, tough-to-hack passwords.
- Add an extra layer of protection to your devices with Trend Micro Maximum Security. Its Web Threat Protection, Ransomware Protection, Anti-phishing, and Anti-spam Protection can help you combat scams and cyberattacks. Click the button below to give it a try:
If you’ve found this article an interesting and/or helpful read, please SHARE it with friends and family to help keep the online community secure and protected. Also, please consider commenting or clicking the like button below!
You Might Also Be Interested In...
Get all the latest cybersecurity news