Last Updated on August 8, 2023
Is AliExpress Legit or Not?
Over the last few years, there’s been lots of talk online about whether AliExpress is legit/safe or not, and people have widely varying opinions. Some people think there’s absolutely nothing to worry about, while others believe spending money on the site is as good as flushing it down the toilet.
The short answer is yes, AliExpress is legit and safe, but the full answer is not quite as clear cut, so keep on reading for the complete low-down!
What Is AliExpress?
Launched in 2010 and based in China, AliExpress is an online retail service predominantly made up of small, primarily Chinese businesses. Because it gives small businesses and individuals a platform to sell their products to customers all over the world, AliExpress has drawn comparisons to eBay.
AliExpress is owned by Alibaba, the Chinese multinational technology company that was founded by Jack Ma, who was previously China’s richest man and has a current net worth of around $32 billion.
Although AliExpress is a 100% legitimate website, it doesn’t mean that all the sellers on the site always play by the rules. Below are some scams that AliExpress sellers have been known to pull:
- Fake tracking number scam — The seller provides the buyer with a tracking number belonging to a different package. Eventually, when the package arrives (not at the buyer’s chosen address), the buyer complains to the seller, but the seller insists it was delivered and there is nothing they can do.
- Cheaper shipping scam — This scam occurs when the buyer pays for expedited shipping, but the seller ships the package using standard, less expensive shipping to save money.
- Dispute closure scam — If a buyer has an issue with a purchase, they may need to open a dispute with the seller. Certain sellers will contact the buyer and tell them if they close the dispute they will receive a refund or a replacement product. The buyer closes the dispute and never hears from the seller again. After a dispute is closed on AliExpress, obtaining a refund or replacement becomes much harder.
While scams such as the ones above do happen from time to time on AliExpress, they’re certainly not the norm. Also, unless sellers repeatedly pull these tricks, things that buyers often report as “scams” could just be innocent mistakes.
When using AliExpress, try to purchase from reputable sellers only (keep reading for tips on this).
Is AliExpress Legit & Safe?
AliExpress is a 100% legitimate website, and it is perfectly safe to make purchases on it. In fact, AliExpress provides a robust buyer protection policy.
All products purchased on AliExpress come with a money-back guarantee that runs to the end of the buyer protection period — which can be up to 90 days from the day the seller ships the order. This allows buyers to get their money back under a variety of circumstances, including if they don’t receive the order and if the item doesn’t match the seller’s description.
The length of the buyer protection period is listed on every product page under the Buy Now button.
Also, if buyers are not able to resolve any issues they may have with a seller directly, they can easily open a dispute during the buyer protection period and the AliExpress dispute team will step in to offer solutions to the buyer.
How to Choose a Reputable Seller on AliExpress?
Fortunately, AliExpress makes it really easy to see the reputation of the sellers on its site so you can avoid purchasing items from those that are unscrupulous. Here’s how to do it:
- While on a product page, scroll down and click Visit Store.
- On the next page that opens, click Feedback.
- From here, you can see how long a seller has been selling on AliExpress, as well as its rating and feedback history — all great information when deciding who to spend your money with.
How to Avoid Scam Shopping Sites?
Fortunately, the answer to the question “Is AliExpress safe?” is yes, but there are still lots of scam shopping sites out there that you need to watch out for! Trend Micro Check — our 100% FREE browser extension and mobile app — can protect you against scam sites, malicious links, and dangerous emails on the fly! So, what are you waiting for? Download Trend Micro Check and get a safer surfing experience today!
As ever, if you’ve found this article an interesting and/or helpful read, please do SHARE it with friends and family to help keep the online community secure and protected. Also, please consider clicking the LIKE button below.
- By G Bazan | December 8, 2022
You Might Also Be Interested In...
Get all the latest cybersecurity news