Last Updated on April 13, 2023
2022 is the year for cryptocurrency and blockchain as more and more people start to invest in the Metaverse. While most of us are still exploring how it works, scammers have already found a million ways to make a profit — by creating fake cryptocurrency trading websites and fake crypto wallet apps. Do you know how to differentiate fake websites from the legitimate ones? Read on for a list of fake crypto website 2023 as well as some tips to protect yourself!
How Fake Crypto Websites Work
Scammers create fake cryptocurrency trading platforms or fake versions of official crypto wallet to exploit victims. These fake sites tend to have similar, but slightly different domain names from the legitimate ones, sometimes making it hard for users to tell. What’s worse, some of these copycat websites even appear very high in search results and look exceptionally similar to the real versions.
To make these fake sites appear more trustworthy, scammers often show you fake testimonials or trading records:
These scam websites will even let you withdraw a small amount of money at first. Initially, after you have received your first deposits and a handful of seemingly successful investments, the sites seem perfectly legitimate.
However, as you watch their investments continue to grow, you’ll feel encouraged to invest more money. It is then that the scammers spring the trap. When you want to withdraw the earnings, the website either shuts down or declines the request. If you contact “customer service” for help, scammers might even ask you to send deposit money. Of course, you won’t retrieve even one cent.
In some other instances, the fake crypto websites are designed to be phishing pages — that is, all the credentials you enter will end up in scammers’ hands, including the password and recovery phrase of your crypto wallet and other financial details!
Browse the Web Safely with Trend Micro Check! (It’s free!)
Trend Micro Check is an all-in-one browser extension for detecting scams, phishing attacks, malware, and dangerous links – and it’s FREE!
After you’ve pinned Trend Micro Check, it will block dangerous sites automatically! It is now available on Safari, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge.
Check out this page for more information on Trend Micro Check.
A List of Fake Crypto Websites (We’ll Keep Updating)
Here we provide a list of fake trading websites / crypto exchanges.
Tip: Press Ctrl+F to search
Tips to Protect Yourself
- Take a closer look at the web address of the website. Is it really legitimate?
- Only download apps from official platforms like Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
- If you observe any suspicious behavior when updating a crypto wallet app, immediately terminate the update and uninstall the app.
- To confirm the legitimacy of a crypto wallet app, the first time your transfer money, send only a small amount.
- Browse the web safely using Trend Micro Check. (It’s completely free!)
- Install Trend Micro Mobile Security. Its cloud-based Smart Protection Network™ and Mobile App Reputation technology can stop threats before they even reach you. Learn more about Trend Micro Mobile Security by clicking the button below.
- By MILES | June 27, 2023
- By James Bentz | June 13, 2023
- By Trend Micro | January 31, 2023
- By Laura O'Connor | January 31, 2023
- By Rik Whiting | January 27, 2023
- By John Onimisi | January 24, 2023
- By Xolani | January 24, 2023
- By Gary jackson | January 23, 2023
- By Treese Sumpter | January 22, 2023
- By John walker | January 19, 2023
- By raymond | January 18, 2023
- By Lambert Abeyatunge | January 17, 2023
- By N | January 17, 2023
- By Jason Lucas | January 16, 2023
- By Lester betts | January 14, 2023
- By Al | January 14, 2023
- By Emily | January 5, 2023
- By Lynette1214 | December 28, 2022
- By Ottinger Rebecca | December 26, 2022
- By Charles Bainbridge | December 23, 2022
- By Tan | December 23, 2022
- By Aurora Nuesca | December 21, 2022
- By Lala | December 17, 2022
- By CryptoUser | November 23, 2022
- By Michael Wells | November 22, 2022
- By Sid | November 19, 2022
- By Phil Bryant | November 18, 2022
- By suzanna stepanyan | November 17, 2022
- By Beth | November 15, 2022
- By Zolani Soha | November 12, 2022
- By Valerie Campbell | November 11, 2022
- By Michael sondgeroth | November 6, 2022
- By Eric Richards | November 5, 2022
- By JP | October 27, 2022
- By Anonymity | October 25, 2022
- By Dharamveer singh | October 16, 2022
- By Moovendhan | October 15, 2022
You Might Also Be Interested In...
Get all the latest cybersecurity news