Got a text message saying you need to track your package delivery? Watch out – it’s a scam!
We’ve reported on package delivery scams before, including DHL, FedEx, and USPS variants. This week there is a new version telling you to check the shipment address for your pending package:
- Parcel Tracking: Hi, your package with tracking code TX357Z46 is waiting for you to check the shipment address: <URL>
The links in these fake text messages may vary, but most of them will direct you to itemtracking[.]net. This is a scam website, designed to look convincingly like Verizon’s official webpage, saying that you can win a gift (like a free iPad) if you fill out an online survey form and enter financial credentials – these will all end up in scammers’ hands!
A Variant: Verizon “Bill Paid” Text Scam
Besides fake delivery messages, many people have also received ones that say you can get a gift via an attached link because you’ve paid your bill for November:
- VZN Free Msg: November bill is paid, Thanks, Here’s a little gift for you: <URL>
Again, the link is a phishing link. If you click on the button, you could end up exposing your personal information! The link leads to a Verizon online survey page that promises you a smart health watch if you complete it:
As mentioned above, you will eventually be asked to submit credit card details, but of course, the gift will never appear. Don’t get scammed!
How to Protect Yourself
- Double-check the sender’s mobile number.
- Free gifts or prizes are always a major red flag.
- Always go to the official website / application instead of using links from unknown sources.
- You can use Trend Micro Check to check if a website is secure and browse the web safely: (It’s free!)
Trend Micro Check is an all-in-one browser extension for detecting scams, phishing attacks, malware, and dangerous links – and it’s FREE!
After you’ve pinned Trend Micro Check, it will block dangerous sites automatically! It is now available on Safari, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge.
Check out this page for more information on Trend Micro Check.
- Add an extra layer of protection to your device with Trend Micro Maximum Security. Its Web Threat Protection, Ransomware Protection, Anti-phishing, and Anti-spam Protection can help you combat scams and cyberattacks.
Click the button below to give it a try:
As ever, if you’ve found this article an interesting and/or helpful read, please do SHARE with friends and family to help keep the online community secure and protected.